The museum, located on the first floor of the Episcopal Seminary Palace of Lamezia Terme, opened in 1998. The idea of a Diocesan Museum was founded by a first exhibition opened in 1993 during which many works were exhibited in a state of decay. This "shows complaint" was the first step that led to the establishment of the Diocesan Museum of Lamezia Terme. The palace of the Bishop's minor seminary then became the official seat of the museum, which was opened in April 1998 and was made available to visitors. Two successive interventions expansion of the exhibition space, one in 2004 and another in 2006, gave the opportunity to dedicate a section to silver and liturgical ornaments bringing to seven sections currently open to visitors. The Diocesan Museum then became an important reality in the territory that was given not only the task of "preserving" an important historical and artistic heritage as that of "telling" the story of Lametini community. The original nucleus, exhibited in 1993 in a permanent exhibition, composed mostly of liturgical objects, were added many come from the old diocese of Nicastro and Martirano. The collection on display is one of the most important of Calabria diocesan museums. The exhibition mainly consists of works and objects made by southern and local teachers in a period that extends from the fifteenth to the twentieth century. Very significant are the paintings by Francesco Colelli, covering a period that runs from 1762 to 1782. There are also claims of roglianese school in the sixteenth century gave birth to a local production of high artistic value documented in several sites Calabria.
Copyright © 2017 - Diocesan Museum of Lamezia Terme - Designed by IIS "Leonardo da Vinci" Lamezia Terme